Whether a business trip or a vacation, most of us would not think of departing without packing for the trip. The question I have is what are you packing for your success journey.
To pack for a business trip or vacation, you need to know where you are going. I would pack very differently for a trip to Florida than for Alaska. So, where is your success journey taking you and how do you pack for the trip?
I believe most everyone defines success a little differently. However, most could agree that a component of success would be to reach your full potential. The Army used to say it like this, “Be All You Can Be.”
The success journey equivalent of packing your suitcase for a trip is preparing and pursuing a personal growth plan. Just as what you pack in your suitcase determines what you can accomplish at your destination, your personal growth plan will determine whether you will continue growing toward your maximum potential.
Nothing in your past guarantees that you will continue growing toward your potential in the future. Planning your growth and then following through on it is the only thing that works.
Only you can prepare and pursue your personal growth plan. You must be dedicated to a life of continual growth. Some principles from John Maxwell’s book, The Success Journey, that help with a growth mindset are:
- Growth is a choice – Novelist Leo Tolstoy said, “Everybody thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.”
- Start growing today. Napoleon Hill said, “It’s not what you are going to do, but it’s what you are doing now that counts.” Someday is not on the calendar.
- Be teachable. John Wooden used to say, “It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts.” When you think you know it all, you can become unteachable.
- Never stay satisfied with current accomplishments. You have to stay hungry and keep that desire to learn.
- Concentrate on a few major themes. John Maxwell narrowed his personal development to these areas:
– Relationships, which determine how well he knows people
– Attitude, which determines how well he relates to people
– Communication, which determines how well he motivates people
– Leadership, which determines how well he influences people
– Personal growth, which determines how long he develops the other areas
What major themes or areas do you need to focus on in your personal development plan?
There are other things you can do to help grow into your potential. One is create a growth environment. If your current circumstances do nothing to help your grow, you are going to have a hard time reaching your potential.
A growth environment should look something like this:
– Others are ahead of you. You are more likely to grow when you can learn from those around you.
– You are out of your comfort zone. This is where growth occurs.
– Your focus is forward. If you are living in the past, your growth is probably stifled.
– Others are growing. It is easier to grow when those around you are on a growth journey too.
– Growth is modeled and expected. When leaders allow and expect growth and they model it, everyone’s potential goes off the chart.
Now, what does the suitcase for your success journey look like? Will it help you reach your full potential? Are you on a growth journey or just jogging around the block going nowhere?
Answer these questions then start growing. It is not too late to begin the journey and Be All You Can Be.